Legal Requirements for Property Letting

There are certain laws governing the Letting of properties which you need to be aware of as it will be your responsibility to make sure you comply with these procedures. We’ve listed a few examples of legislation below that will apply to you. Your local team at Northwood will be able to help you understand these and any other regulations that you need to be aware of.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All tenants need to be provided with energy efficiency information when they first view the property and must then receive a paper copy of the certificate should they decide to move in. We can instruct a contractor to complete an EPC for you. In some parts of the UK, the tenant has a right to request that work is carried out in order to improve the energy efficiency of the property. Although the landlord will not be able to unreasonably refuse the work, it is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure the work is funded.

Gas Safety Certificate (GSC)

The Gas Safety Certificate is a legal requirement to ensure that all gas appliances in a property are safe. You must ensure that this is renewed every twelve months and that a copy of the certificate must be forwarded to those who
require it. We can organise this on your behalf.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms

In most parts of the UK, there is a requirement to have a suitable system in place for detecting smoke and the escape of carbon monoxide. Although the requirements vary across the country, your local office will be able to advise on what you need to do in order to comply.

Electrical checks

Scotland is currently the only part of the UK where it is a legal requirement to complete electrical checks on rented properties. However, all landlords across the UK have an obligation to ensure the property and its electrical system is safe, so an electrical check is recomended.

PAT tests

As landlord you are obliged to ensure that all electrical appliances are safe and fit for purpose. This can be done by arranging a PAT test, which is renewed annually.

Furniture and fire regulations

It is your duty to make sure that any soft furnishing left in the property comply with current regulations. For further information visit

Prepare inventory

This is a thorough record of your property and its contents. We take a full photographic record of the property inside and out. Like all important documents, this needs to be kept in a safe place for future reference and regularly updated.

Register with the deposit protection service

There are three goverment- approved providers available. You are required by law to register all tenant deposits so that they are protected by a third party for the duration of the tenancy. We can organise this on your behalf.