Over a million homes in the UK are fitted with solar panels, so it’s not unusual to find one on the market. And with most new builds being constructed with energy-efficient appliances, finding a solar-powered home for sale in Bristol is only going to become more common.
Just like any home you buy, it’s good to weigh up the pros and cons to see if it’s the right choice for you.
If you’re debating whether you should buy a house in Bristol with solar panels, here’s everything you need to know before you commit.
What Are the Benefits of Buying a House With Solar Panels?
Buying a house with solar panels has many benefits, including:
- Cheaper bills: Solar power is renowned for providing cheaper energy bills. Depending on the terms of the lease, you may even get your energy completely free!
- Low maintenance work: Except for routine cleaning (which isn’t costly) solar panels are very low maintenance. Plus, warranties usually last for 20+ years. If the seller has only just had the panels installed, you could be covered for any faults for a long time.
- Resale-ability: The homebuying market is becoming more eco-conscious. Some buyers are even willing to pay more for a sustainable home! When it comes to selling in the future, your property could have an edge that others don’t.
- An eco-friendlier life: Solar power is a renewable resource, so it’s much better for the environment than fossil fuels will ever be. In turn, they help you live an eco-friendlier life.
Things to Consider Before Buying a House With Solar Panels
Despite the benefits of buying a house with solar panels, there are some things you should consider before you commit, including:
1. Whether You Can Still Get a Mortgage
It’s uncommon, but some lenders take issue with a property leasing its roof to a solar power company, purely because it’s not owned by you. Before you make an offer, check with your lender or speak to your mortgage advisor to see if you can still get the mortgage you need.
2. What Permissions & Restrictions You’ll Have
Since most houses with solar panels have a lease on the roof, there may be restrictions about what you can and can’t do with your home. Some leases require you to seek permission to extend or even sell your home in the future. Always review the lease in detail before you buy to make sure you know about (and are comfortable with) any restrictions.
3. There Could Be Removal Fees
You shouldn’t buy a house with solar panels if you plan on removing them. Plus, some leases won’t ever allow you to remove them anyway. But if you need to have work done on your property and the panels need to be taken down temporarily, you may need to pay hefty fees.
Are You Looking to Buy in Bristol?
If you’re looking to buy a property in the Bristol area, Northwood Bristol are your local property experts!
Check out our available listings on our website at https://www.northwooduk.com/bristol-estate-agents/ or give us a call on 0117 9635777 for a friendly chat with our team about what you’re looking for.