DIY landlord fined for dangerous gas boiler repairs

A DIY landlord replaced a gas boiler in a rented home that could have exploded or leaked deadly fumes.

Shaun Johnson exchanged the gas boilers but left the existing flue, which could have blown up or let poisonous carbon monoxide gas escape into the house if the boiler was switched on.

Truro Magistrates Court was told Johnson carried out the work on a home he owned in Liskeard, Cornwall, while his mother, who lives in the home, was away.

Johnson asked a Gas Safe registered engineer to check his work, but the engineer classified the flue as 'immediately dangerous?.

Johnson was not a registered gas engineer and was not qualified or competent to work with gas.

He admitted to two breaches of gas safety laws and was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £288 costs.

Health and Safety Executive Inspector Simon Jones, said: 'Johnson tried to save money by removing an old gas boiler and replacing it with a new one himself, but his work had the potential to endanger lives ' not just of anyone in the house itself, but also in neighbouring properties had there been an explosion.

?Gas work should only be undertaken by Gas Safe registered engineers who are properly trained and accredited to carry out work safely.?

Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said:

Meanwhile, the family of a man found dead in his bedsit where a carbon monoxide leak was discovered, have hit out at a court ruling the landlord was not to blame for the death.

Ray Iley was found dead at a guest house in Shotton Colliery.

Consett Magistrates Court decided owner Kaiser Choudry did not cause the death, even though the boiler in the property was leaking carbon monoxide and had not been serviced for two years.

Choudry, 48, pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the boiler and flue were safely maintained and failing to carry out landlord safety checks.

The court heard a faulty flue led to the boiler to emit seven parts per million of carbon monoxide, which is not a fatal concentration. Mr Iley?s body was found to contain 600 parts per million.

Choudry must pay £6,030.75 fines and costs.

Mr Iley?s brother Brian, 58, said: 'It?s a farcical judgment. 'The only thing in that building that could produce carbon monoxide was the boiler, and carbon monoxide is what killed Raymond.?

The article DIY landlord fined for dangerous gas boiler repairs appeared first on LandlordZONE.

]]>

Article courtesy of LandlordZONE

Got a question for NAME?

Get in touch