Moving house can be a stressful experience but you can certainly help things move a little more smoothly if you plan your approach. Of course, a lot will depend on how much furniture and contents you need to move to your new home and how far you are going.
Here’s a quick checklist to help you keep control in the weeks before you head off to your new property:
4 Weeks Before:
- Contact your insurance company to make sure they know you are moving and arrange cover when you change address.
- If you are intending to use a professional removal firm, contact several for quotes, check their references and make a decision who you are going to employ.
- If you are using friends and family to help, make sure they are available for the day you intend to move.
- Contact your utility company to tell them that you are moving out and arrange to give a final meter reading.
- Have a clear out and get rid of things that you don’t want to take with you when you make your move, there are lots of charity companies who will come and collect your unwanted furniture.
- If you are planning to buy furniture for your new home, it’s a good idea to order it now and arrange for it be delivered once you move in.
3 Weeks Before:
- Start collecting packing cases, wrapping and generally organising your belongings.
- If you are not using certain items of furniture or things like books and clothes or ornaments, you can start packing these now. Don’t leave your packing until the last minute as it can raise those stress levels.
- Finalise any arrangements with your chosen removal company and make sure everything is in place and ready to go.
2 Weeks Before:
- Start notifying relevant organisations and people of your change of address. This can include your bank, building society and anyone else who regularly sends you mail. Don’t forget your friends and family.
- If you are moving out of the area you will need to tell your doctor, dentist and optician.
- You can arrange to have mail forwarded to your new address by paying a quick visit to the local post office or going online.
- Contact your estate agent, letting agent or landlord to arrange a time to pick up the keys for your new property.
1 Week Before:
- Put together a list for a survival kit for you moving day including kettle, tea bags, coffee and milk.
- Get as much of your packing done as possible and make sure you label all the boxes so both you and the removal firm know what they contain.
- Do any washing or other tasks that you need to do and get that packed away.
The Last Few Days:
- Finish the last of your packing and put together your survival kit.
- Change any online shopping details so that your new address is included.
- On the final day, record the utility readings and make sure you give these to your gas/electric company.
- Make sure that your phone is fully charged.
- Check all windows and doors are secure before you leave and have a last check round to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Make sure you leave the property nice and clean for the new occupants.