Here at Northwood the health and wellbeing of our tenants, landlords and indeed all of our customers is a real priority so we are proud to once again be supporting the Gas Safety Week.
Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register, said: “It’s great to have the support of Northwood this Gas Safety Week. By working together we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers. We know from our own investigations that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe*, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”
With 22 deaths and nearly 1,000 gas-related injuries in the last three years, it’s vital that people make sure their gas appliances are safely checked every year, by a Gas Safe registered engineer. If you’re a landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:
- Pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
- All appliances and flues provided for tenants use have an annual safety check. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
- Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register.
- All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
- A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
- You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.
All of our Northwood offices use certified Gas Safe registered engineers so you can be sure that your property is in safe hands. Northwood will manage the gas safety certificate process on your behalf and make sure that the annual check takes place within the necessary time scales. The office will also keep your certificate on file and ensure that all the relevant people receive a copy.
This year there is a particular focus on encouraging the public to reach out to their friends and family, be they elderly parents or a disabled neighbour, to ensure they are gas safe. Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In the last year, at least 55,200 homes in the UK escaped deadly gas incidents such as these, thanks to engineers switching off dangerous appliances1
* Gas Safe Register surveyed 1,199 registered engineers between July 2015 and June 2016. Amongst surveyed gas engineers, 46% per cent said they had switched off a deadly appliance in the last year. There are 120,000 registered engineers, so 46% per cent equates to at least 55,200 homes avoiding a deadly gas incident.
** 22 people died from gas related incidents in the UK in the last three years and 949 non-fatalities were reported (Source: http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridgas1.xls statistics 2012-15 (provisional))
Northwood is one of the largest and most recognised estate agents in the U.K. and the leading supplier of Guaranteed Rent to give landlords complete peace of mind.
Find us on Twitter @northwoodUK or visit our YouTube Channel.